"Geert Poels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> I wanted to know if any official W3 or browser-developer document/spec
> mentions a (recommended) limit to the line length of an html page ?
>
> Can I safely use an html-compressor, putting all fe. 50000 bytes of a
> page on a single line ?

Newlines are mostly irrelevant to HTML. They're considered whitespace. You
could put the entire file in one line with no effect in most cases[1].
However, you probably wouldn't gain a whole lot, since a newline is only one
or two characters (depending on the OS).

[1]Actually, it would make a difference if there are any <PRE> tags or
elements with the CSS property "white-space: pre" set. Those tell the
browser to lay out the text as it appears in the file, without collapsing
adjacent spaces and with newlines ending a displayed line. In that case, it
would cause a problem.