In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geert Poels) wrote:

> hi,
>
> I wanted to know if any official W3 or browser-developer document/spec
> mentions a (recommended) limit to the line length of an html page ?
>
> Can I safely use an html-compressor, putting all fe. 50000 bytes of a
> page on a single line ?
>
> Geert

I just happen to know the answer to that question, since I was the guy
that I'd guess you'd say invented html optimization/compression.

It'll never bother any browser no matter how long your lines are. Will
not bother any WYSIWIG editors either, and the only thing that will do
strange things with long lines, is a very old (3 years plus) version of
Oracle's web server if I recall correctly, which will take upon itself
to stick a break in any line that's over 2048 bytes.

from search engines can deal just fine, in fact, it'll improve your
ranking in some engines that weight keywords by how many bytes deep they
are in a page.

Rip the junk out. Take your pick of the many tools to do it now, one of
which is based on the original one I wrote, but I sold that company.

--
Travis Anton, BoxTop Software, Inc. - http://www.boxtopsoft.com

"BoxTop Software's ProJPEG plug-in consistently produces JPEG files
that are routinely 50% smaller than Photoshop" - Mac Art Design