"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >
> > >Drag image of floppy to Trash.
> > >
> > >DUHHHH!!!
> >
> > Why would I want to delete all the files on my floppy?!?!?!  Clearly
putting
> > something into a trash can indicates that you want to discard it, right?
> > NOPE!  NOT ON THE MAC!  WELL, SOMETIMES IT DOES, OTHER TIMES IT DON'T!
>
> If you double click on the image of floppy disk  it opens to a desktop
> file indicating the file contents of the Floppy Disk. If you highlight
> either individually or as a Group (Command -A) and drag the files to
> trash; you empty the contents of the diskette.
>
> Draging the unopened image of the Diskette to trash unmounts the
> Diskette and ejects the Diskette. doing that does not empty the contents
> of the diskette.

JTK's point is that dragging anything else to the trash readies it for
deletion. However, discs get special treatment--they get unmounted
and ejected. The Mac's behavior in this respect is inconsistent. A
first time user would not be able to intuitively guess that dragging
a disc to the trash ejects it, and many wouldn't attempt it for fear
that the disc's contents would get deleted.

I agree. This is one area where the Mac's behavior seems just plain
odd if you're not already used to it.

> > > So your getting PC's, and Mac's commands mixed up. Mac's have always
been able
> > >to use a two/three button mouse provided the Driver (control panel) was
> > >setup for it (provide by Mouse Maker). I find having to use a two or
> > >three button mouse confusing.
> >
> > I find obscure key combos a tad more confusing than another mouse
button, but
> > what do I know.  Oh, well, I know that Win9x+ has been rather successful
> > while the Mac has not.  Maybe there's a correllation.

Actually, JTK, the Mac was pretty popular when it came out.
Microsoft didn't really make huge inroads until Windows 95. Macs
are still more popular among graphics professionals.

> If you go back a few years you'll discover the idea for Windows was a
> concept stolen from the Macintosh, because Bill Gates feared that the
> Mac was catching on too well and cutting into his revenues.
>
> If Apple at the time had as deep Pockets as Microsoft did at the time;
> there would not have been Window 3.1, Windows 95, 88 or wharever they
> are up to now.
>
> I find that right click on a Windows mouse brings up Help.

It generally brings up a context menu. Help may be one of the options.

> There are two methods of calling up help. eith on Desktop, or within an
Application.

>  clicking on the help menu. or turning on Show Ballons (Ballon help)
> turning this feature on when the mouse move over a Command in a menu a
> Widow looking something like what you see in newspaper cartoons comes up
> explaing what the command is supposed to do.

Balloon Help is an early version of tooltips.

--
The horror, the funky horror! http://www.crfh.net
How would it feel if you were G-rated? http://framed.keenspace.com