Steve Carroll wrote:

> Okay, thanks, guys!
>
> but how did you learn what mime time the server was sending?  Where did
> you look to find that out?
>
> also, if the mime type is that far our, how come jpeg display correctly
> when displayed on an html page?
>
> Thanks again,
> Steve
>
> Justin H. wrote:
>
> > Steve Carroll wrote:
> >
> >>I'm having problems with jpg files on my web server not being displayed
> >>correctly in Mozilla.  If I load any jpg file directly --
> >>http://sciastro.net/test.jpg  for example -- only gibberish text is
> >>displayed.  If that same file is included in an html file, it displays fine.
> >>
> >>No problem with IE.
> >>
> >>I no longer have netscape 4.X installed, so don't know if there is a
> >>problem there or not.
> >>
> >>I DO NOT have this problem on most web pages --- only those hosted on
> >>the hosting company I use.  And yes, Vie contacted them -- the response
> >>was Mozilla?  what's that"
> >>
> >>Is this some kind of mime problem?
> >>
> >>Please help!  I have a lot of photo albums pages on my web site that
> >>aren't working right with Mozilla!
> >>

> > File MIME Type: text/plain <- There's your problem.
> >
> > It should be image/jpeg, if I remember right.
> >
> > Justin H.

The easiest way with netscape is to try to load the picture (even if you
get garbled text) and then click on View -> Page Info (or CTRL+I).

As for why it shows correctly in a web page - you're explicitly defining
it as the image source.  MIME type doesn't enter in at that point, as
you can use a cgi or other executable to draw a picture, or use other
sources in your IMG tag.

Justin H.
--
"As most lawyers, I'm human."