In article <9hrd6l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave
Huang) wrote:

> Hmm, well on closer inspection, it looks like those are pixels after all.
> However, I get the feeling that the intention was for the units to be
> points,

The use of pixels is, very, very intentional and by design.

> and in any case, the logical thing to do is use points--users
> don't specify font sizes in pixels :)

The pref is first and foremost aimed at screen display. Points are more
or less arbitrary in the context of a screen (in practice). In the
context of my screen, the size of a pixel is well-defined for me (and
I'm the person setting my prefs).

The idea that users are in many cases expected to use points for setting
sizes for their personal pixel-based displays is a Bad Thing--especially
if the point is not a real point but the relationship of the point and
the pixel is some arbitrary constant (as it is on Mac, to great extent
*in practice* on Windows and X11).

--
Henri Sivonen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]