Andrew Williams wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I had java 1.3.0 plugin running under an oldish CVS build of mozilla. Today I
> decided to upgrade to 9.2 but I got the following error message when I started
> it up:
>
> INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not load
> /usr/local/share/j2re1.3.0/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_oji.so: linking
> error=/usr/local/share/j2re1.3.0/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_oji.so: undefined
> symbol: __vt_17nsGetServiceByCID
>
> So I downloaded the java version 1.3.1 from sun's web page and installed the
> plugin symbolic link in the mozilla plugins directory. But when I start up
> mozilla it doesn't seem to realise it's there. Mozilla throws up no error
> messages but java doesn't appear in the list of plugins. Tried 1.4 beta but
> that behaves in exactly the same way. I deleted my .mozilla directory and
> started from scratch but still no good. Has anyone got any ideas or had a
> similar problem?? Thanks...
>
>            Andrew

try setting the $JAVA_HOME env variable.  Also, your link seems wrong.
My link on my system is libjavaplugin_oji.so -->
/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/i386/ns600/libjavapluginoji.so

Also, I'm using the JDK instead of the JRE.  (i.e. my JAVA_HOME is
/usr/local/jdk1.3.1).

Also, get 'java' into your path. (don't really know if that's required).
  Give the JDK a try and post your results.

James