Gavin Long wrote:

> <dons flame-proof suit to enter a thread that's already getting rather too
> heated for a quibble over a couple of
>
> Peter Lairo wrote
> [a fairly strident rant re: attitudes to non-native english speakers,
> etc.]
>
> While I often disagree with Peter, I have to say that I'm generally with
> him on this one.  It's very refreshing to hear a POV like that from an
> American (though as Peter mentioned, Brits are often guilty, too)

I agree as well, however I think it is valid to point out errors
(politely, and with an explanation) if those errors alter the
meaning/context of the text (e.g. wrong tense for verbs etc.).

Whilst we are on the subject of language, how do non-native English (or
should that be non native-English?) speakers feel about their
mother-tongue being referred to as "foreign", as in "foreign-language
version of Netscape"?

I'm not generally a PC person but to me it seems rude at the very least,
if not offensive. I try (but don't always remember) to use "non-English"
rather than "foreign".