Parish wrote:

> Gavin Long wrote:
>
> > <dons flame-proof suit to enter a thread that's already getting rather too
> > heated for a quibble over a couple of
> >
> > Peter Lairo wrote
> > [a fairly strident rant re: attitudes to non-native english speakers,
> > etc.]
> >
> > While I often disagree with Peter, I have to say that I'm generally with
> > him on this one.  It's very refreshing to hear a POV like that from an
> > American (though as Peter mentioned, Brits are often guilty, too)
> >

> I agree as well, however I think it is valid to point out errors
> (politely, and with an explanation) if those errors alter the
> meaning/context of the text (e.g. wrong tense for verbs etc.).
>
> Whilst we are on the subject of language, how do non-native English (or
> should that be non native-English?) speakers feel about their
> mother-tongue being referred to as "foreign", as in "foreign-language
> version of Netscape"?

Hi, an american here. Netscape (prior to 6) was primarily created originaly in
American English. Thus the term Foreign Language. Its not a slap or critisim of other
Countries. I'm sure to one in Spain or France, America or USA is definitely foreign to
them <Grin>.

> I'm not generally a PC person but to me it seems rude at the very least,
> if not offensive. I try (but don't always remember) to use "non-English"
> rather than "foreign".
>
> > I don't speak any language other than English to any kind of useful level
> > (very bad French, even worse German, and I can just about count to five
> > and say please and thankyou in Italian)
> >

> > However, that's my problem, not anyone else's, and I appreciate the
> > efforts of people like Henno to make it possible for me to read their
> > messages.
> >
> > <retires to safe distance>
> >
> > --
> > gav
> > Playing: Deus Ex; TFC1.5; Just Read: The League Of Extraordinary
> > Gentlemen, Alan Moore et al.; Guilty Pleasures, Laurell Hamilton;
> > A Good Old-Fashioned Future, Bruce Sterling;

Phillip M. Jones, CET     |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street        |Who's Who. PHONE:540-632-5045, FAX:540-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112-1809|[EMAIL PROTECTED], ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]