In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gordon Bennett wrote:
> Right, Chris - but your arguments apply to a personal firewall too. The
> only solution is not to install malicious software, especially not with
> root rights.

OK, or *write* your own firewall. :-)  You're right, of course-if you're
running untrusted programs, a firewall won't keep them from suddenly
blowing away every Office document on your computer, etc. (Which one of
the Outlook viruses replaced every file with certain extensions with a
copy of itself?)  But I must confess, I rather despair of the user
population at large learning to do this...

--
Chris Hoess