rob wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I do a large amount of local development work with Mozilla and Netscape
> 6.x ... running off a locally installed web server such as IIS or Apache.
>
> Here's the deal:
>
> Basically, on pages with lots of table structures and many sliced
> graphics (we're talking pages with total sizes upwards of 50k) the pages
> almost never finish loading and the graphics frequently fail to load,
> leaving the page incomplete.  Externally loading files, other than the
> core html, seem to fail frequently, even reloading.  Images, CSS files,
> and JS files frequently do not load.  The page comes up all distorted
> (because empty alt tags are being inserted where spacers where, etc.)
> and frequently unreadable.
>
> I'm a big fan and advocate of Mozilla, but this can be a real problem
> for a local developer.  I've checked and the problem is happening on my
> home machine, my work machine, and two other machines at work running
> IIS 5.0 on Windows 2000 Professional.  As you may or may not know, IIS
> on Win2k Professional is limited to 10 simulatneous connections, because
> Micro$oft wants you to use Server.
>
> I checked some HTML/PHP sites on Apache and although I can't use it for
> the project I'm on right now (much of what we do is ASP stuff, sorry!)
> and guess what? Lets hear it for open source, huh? It works fine on
> Apache.  Particularly the static ones are telling.  Only thing I can
> think of is, no connection limits.
>
> Almost like Mozilla times out connection limits too soon, or something.
>
> That's the only thing I can think of as being the culprit, but I know
> very little about the HTTP connections and how Mozilla reads 'em.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else, maybe someone involved in Necko or what
> have you could look into this, check the connections, etc. etc. etc.
>
> I'd appreciate it.  It is a bit of a problem, because Mozilla is the
> only browser that displays this problem, and so all those great
> Microsoft Developers which are developing ASP apps locally which we want
> to convert to Mozilla "true believers" will automatically open up
> Mozilla and be like, "what is this crap??".
>
> Thanks.
> :rob

I've had problems with IIS5 too. Mainly, nothing works except the
\localhost\ directory. I have nothing there [and all external IPs are
blocked - allowing only for 127.0.0.1 to connect], since I keep each
WIP-site in a separate location, and share it [i.e. D:\webdev\site1\ is
mapped to  localhost/site1/]. This works fine in IE, but gives me an error:
"You are not authorized to view this page" in both NS4.x and Mozilla.

I can open the index.html file in Mozilla, then proceed fine through
file:///whatever/. It's a minor inconvenience, but I have no idea why it
behaves this way. Anyone have an idea?

-bZj

--
Brian Z Jones | down8 at yahoo dot com