Requesting the root favicon.ico automatically I will make configurable
through a pref.  The <link> solution is still coming and will be
implemented also, and it will support multiple image formats, and it
will be used in lieu of favicon.ico if specified by a Web page.

A special icon cache won't be required with some clever RDF work.  I'll
be sure to write something up on that when I get into implementing the
feature for actual bookmarks.

The intent here is not to emulate IE.  It is to hijack the feature and
do it better than IE.  That means supporting <link> and supporting
multiple image formats.  Let's not get hung up over the /favicon.ico
part.  Heck, I had to support that just to test the darn feature. :)

/favicon.ico is designed just to be the fallback when no <link> is
specified, and I'll be sure to make it pref configurable so we can
flip it on and off as we determine whether or not it's going to be a
necessity or not.

dave
([EMAIL PROTECTED])