Ben Goodger wrote:

> If you're with a hosting provider where you don't have your own
> domain, you're probably already subjected to other, ruder forms of
> intrusion, such as popup windows or ad banners.

Nonsense. Many organizations give their "customers" homepages without
domain. Many better ISPs do that and unis do that.

> But <link> doesn't scale. Even on my relatively small site, I have
> enough pages for me not to bother wanting to go around and stick a
> <link> element on every page.

Larger websites almost always use templates. If you don't you have
bigger problems than that.

With the old approach, nobody forces you to add <link>s. With the new
one, you essentially are forced to. This includes esp. those people with
smaller websites.