"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T." wrote:

> Garth Wallace wrote:

> > > Actually IE for  Mac has the ability to use Active-X though I have it
> > > turned off. (Have one website I have to use it for)
> > >
> > > Mozilla does support a Variation on Active-X not based on the Microsoft model.
> > > Supposedly all the dangerous code is left out (I belive its called
> > > either Xpcom or XUL).
> >
> > No it doesn't. It uses a version of COM called XPCOM.
> > ActiveX uses a different version of COM written by
> > Microsoft.
> >
> > Your logic:
> > A uses B
> > C uses D
> > E is a set containing B and D
> > therefore, A uses C
> > ...which is a logical fallacy.
> >
> > XUL, on the other hand, is an XML dialect and
> > has absolutely no relation to COM.
> >
> > > I know little more about the subject since I raised the Active-X
> > > question a few months ago. I was politely (and not so <grin>) told the
> > > above info
> >
> > No, quite the opposite. You claimed the above, and
> > were corrected. Later, you claimed the above, and
> > were corrected. Then, you claimed the above, and
> > were corrected. Ad nauseum.
>
> Garth in your own explaination above you say that Active -X is Is
> MicroSofts variation COM.

No I did not. I said that it *uses* Microsoft's version
of COM. I use a broom to sweep my floor, but that does
not mean that I am a broom.

> What I said:
>
> > > Mozilla does support a Variation on Active-X not based on the Microsoft model.
> > > Supposedly all the dangerous code is left out (I belive its called
> > > either Xpcom or XUL).
>
> By your own words:
>
> Active-X is a variation on COM wriiten by Microsoft
> XPCOM is a Variation on COM written by Mozilla.

No, ActiveX is not a variation on COM written by
Microsoft. MSCOM is the variation of COM written
by Microsoft. ActiveX is a distinct applet-like
technology that *uses* MSCOM.