John Morrison wrote:

>see if the favicon.ico
>is in your disk cache (do about:cache?device=disk and search for the string)
>and what the parameters are for the entry if it exists.
>
>Thanks,
>John

Poking around about:cache?device=disk, I noticed that the sites I was
having the most problems with bookmark icons like espn.com set their
expiration times for favicon.ico(actually all their images) to almost
immediately(while as an example slashdot appears to be a 9 day
expiration).  It might be necessary for the bookmark icon handler to
ignore expirations, though I don't know enough of how the cache works to
know if this is trivial or non-trivial...