Ben Bucksch wrote:

> IMO, the Mozilla community is the highest authority for Mozilla code.

That would be anarchy and chaos, which is why mozilla.org has the module
owner system.

> If somebody devotes substantional amounts of time to sort out bugs to
> make coder's lifes easier and so to help Mozilla, I belive they do
> have a right to influence what Mozilla is.

Anyone has the right to *try* to influence Mozilla's direction, but
everyone is limited by their ability to get code past the module owners
and super-reviewers.

> Similarily, it makes no sense for me to contribute to Mozilla on one
> part just to see my goals being defeated by checkins in other parts.
> (Which is the case in the favicon bug.)

Nobody gets their way all the time.  If it makes no sense, stick to your
own browser.

> How do you determine what you do?

I wish I knew (and so does my manager ;-).  Mostly, I just try to do
whatever seems needed to get us closer to shipping the next
milestone/release.

> Doesn't you go to meetings where you decide what Netscape 6 should
> have and what not? The newsgroups and bugs are Mozilla's "meetings".

At least 95% of what I do is for Mozilla as well as Netscape, and it
mostly takes place in the fishbowl.  I spend a lot of time in the bugs
and newsgroups, and many of the meetings I go to include contributors
from outside Netscape.  Netscape 6 is not that separate, just Mozilla
with slightly different frosting.

> And I assure you that mozilla.org staff lost credits in the view on
> many contributors when approving the favicon checkin.

I doubt that mozilla.org staff had anything to do with 'approving' the
favicon checkin.  In any case, nearly all decisions on this project are
guaranteed to displease some people; that is unavoidable.

Peter