I don't want to start another flame war, but why exactly do webmasters
care so much?  On one side you have webmasters unaware of the problem,
they obviously don't care.  On the other side you have webmasters who
see that some non-existent file /favicon.ico is being requested a lot,
don't like this, so they do 'cp /dev/null <webroot>/favicon.ico' or some
similar operation.  They are now serving up a 0 byte file so there is no
bandwidth drag, and they aren't getting any error messages in their
logs, and this took them less than 30 seconds so they no longer care.
 On the third side, you have people with personal websites that are
hosted by a third party and have a domain like
www.thirdparty.com/person'sArea/.  Truth be told there is no more
confusion generated for visitors by the fact that the site uses
thirdparty.com's site icon then by the fact that the site's url starts
with www.thirdparty.com and it is overrideable.  By this logic, there is
no good reason why any webmaster should care...???