David Hyatt wrote:

> Actually Gecko supports many IE proprietary extensions, among them
> offsetWidth and offsetHeight, innerHTML, and the "contextmenu" event.

Interestingly, you are responsible for the misguided contextmenu event,
too. (I know nothing about the other cases.)

> Auto-fetching favicon.ico has nothing to do with Web page standards.

But with web standards.

Aaron also said:
"After all, that was what we had been doing all along when there was a
standards compliant way of doing something and an IE way, so why should
this by any different?"
Clearly, /favicon.ico is the IE way, in contrast to the standards way,
<link rel="icon">.

> It's a browser behavior, not a Web page or layout engine behavior, and
> how a browser behaves is completely up to the browser designer.

Unless you are using other people's resources.* Which you do.

*or violating or interfering with standards