michael lefevre wrote:
> you certainly could... it's been done:
> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 2000) Opera 5.12 [en]
> is (i think) the default for Opera 5.12

True. That's what I don't like about Opera.

It's like "we can't implement DOM properly, but at least we can mess up
user agents".

>>at least until *that* browser catches on so much that
>>some other Brand X takes that whole string and appends something
>>else...

> indeed. this is obviously not a good way to go - I haven't used it, but
> it appears from their docs that Opera 6 actually identifies itself as
> (for example)
> Opera/6.0 (Windows XP; U) [en]
> by default... but i could be wrong.

No. "Identify as IE" is default, which is like what you mentioned first.
It takes the IE string - which includes "Mozilla 4.0-compatible" and
appends its own version number ("Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0;
Windows XP) Opera 6.01 [en]" for me).

This one ("Opera/6.01 (Windows XP; U) [en]") is true though when turning
on "Identify as Opera".

--
Regards,
Sören Kuklau ('Chucker')