In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> Looking at the bug statistics at
>

>http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/reports.cgi?product=-All-&output=show_chart&datasets=NEW%3A&datasets=ASSIGNED%3A&datasets=REOPENED%3A&datasets=UNCONFIRMED%3A&links=1&banner=1
>
> Bugs are taking over!
>
> Fact:
> The number of bugs is now three times as high as half a year ago: over
> 12,000  open bugs!
>
> Are Mozilla developers creating more bugs than they (can ever) fix?
> Where is this going to end?

I think that your assertion is incorrect (as other posters have stated),
but let me try to provide some justification.  If the increase in bug
count was indicative of truly new bugs, i.e., regressions, we would indeed
be in trouble.  Having done QA on and off in the Layout component for
over a year, the problem is mostly one of design flaws in Bugzilla, rather
than the Mozilla code.  To wit:

1) It is difficult to find specific bugs in Bugzilla.  Whether this is a
problem with the search interface, or whether we need to be somehow
tagging bugs with a larger and greater variety of keywords (perhaps in a
semi-automatic way), I can't exactly say; but as it stands, there's
probably a reasonable percentage of duplicate bugs buried in there that no
one has spotted.

2) There are a lot of ueseless bugs in Bugzilla.  Component owners may
file bugs as reminders to themselves to reorganize some data structure
later, be sidelined by other work, and the bug may drift on through
another owner or two long after the data structure is removed from the
code.  There are enhancements ranging from the reasonable to the utterly
unlikely.  There are bugs reported and confirmed a year ago on a
then-current build that have never been reproduced again...

Basically, I would say that while there are certainly regressions, they
are being kept at a manageable level, based on what I've seen.  However,
given the current state of Bugzilla, I can't compile the statistics to
prove it.

Unfortunately, the current Bugzilla model, with default assignees and QA
contacts, is a serious roadblock to fixing this problem.  While this is
still holding up in some of the smaller components, in large components
like layout, the system has utterly collapsed.  What is needed to remedy
it is some significant changes in Bugzilla's concepts of state,
introducing more levels of granularity between UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED.
Bugs would drop into here until QA personnel and the bug reporter could
clearly determine the cause of the problem (i.e., "the margin on this <td>
is wrong" rather than "this page doesn't work") and produce a consistently
reproducible testcase.  Only after this was done would the bugs be marked
as "real" bugs and assigned or chosen by programmers.  I believe that a
system along these lines would produce bug statistics that more accurately
reflected the state of the product.

--
Chris Hoess