My $0.02:

I would contend that this is more than perception.  I would rather
have a page immediately show and then redraw a couple of times, even
if it is overall slower.  I can get an idea of what I'm looking at,
visually scan for what interests me, and then start reading.  If I
wait ten seconds with my hands poised over the keys, only to discover
I need to click through and the page is bogus, it just adds
frustration.

Another way of putting this: even if IE takes longer to completely
render the page, I can USE the page faster under IE than Mozilla.

-Jim