On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:07:08 GMT,
Jim Power <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:I would contend that this is more than perception.  I would rather
:have a page immediately show and then redraw a couple of times, even
:if it is overall slower.  I can get an idea of what I'm looking at,
:visually scan for what interests me, and then start reading.  If I
:wait ten seconds with my hands poised over the keys, only to discover
:I need to click through and the page is bogus, it just adds
:frustration.
:Another way of putting this: even if IE takes longer to completely
:render the page, I can USE the page faster under IE than Mozilla.

Thing is, Mozilla generally works that way - drawing what it can as it can,
with a few reflows as needed.

The trick IE does is (I think - I welcome correction from the more
observant) to draw the browser window ASAP, then the assorted widgets, then
(eventually) the content of the page. So it looks like it's *started* doing
something much sooner, even if it takes longer to finish.

I certainly wouldn't call it a high priority before 1.0 - we're talking
about eye candy here. And the lots of little 1% and 2% gains in real
performance in Mozilla are adding up very nicely as we go. But someone with
too much time on their hands might well want to play with people's
perceptions in this manner later.

--
http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fun/                      http://www.rocknerd.org/
"Some days violence is just a nice quick solution to a problem that would need