David Tenser wrote:

> You can customize Mozilla to be a totally different
> browser if you really want and have the time. On the other hand, you
> could also make your own web browser from scratch if you had the time
> and knowledge, so that doesn't help the average user. It seems for me
> that Mozilla doesn't aim for the big market. It aims for developers.

It does actually aim for end users, but apparently there are more
important bugs to be fixed.

>> Well, and adding more bugs, according to the stratospheric bug count
>> numbers in bugzilla.
>
> I was in fact going to say that too, but I stopped myself because in the
> end I didn't want to upset dedicated Mozilla lovers :) You are
> absolutely right. There are so many bugs, and many of them have been
> there for far too long.

Yes. Absolutely. But every single day, bugs are being fixed. New bugs
are also introduced, but the number of bugs getting fixed is far higher
than the numbers of bugs being introduced. Of the new items in Bugzilla
that are actually real, non-duplicate,
not-just-a-request-for-a-new-feature, valid bugs, most of them has
always existed but just hasn't been discovered yet. Only a few of the
new bugs are regressions. So just because 50 new bugs are filed, it
doesn't mean that 50 new bugs are introduced.

> I have actually reported one bug myself
> (124703), and only one day after that, over 50 more bugs was reported.
> One week later, my bug is still unconfirmed...

Not anymore... ;-)

>>> Is it someone in this newsgroup that agrees with me, or am I just
>>> being very negative at the moment?
>>
>> You are 100% dead-on brother.
>
> I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I hope that someone highly
> involved in the Mozilla project gets to read this too, although I doubt
> it will make a difference. Thanks for your thoughts JTK.

Do yourself a favor: Don't listen to JTK. He is always whining about how
Mozilla sucks, and whenever something he has complained about gets
fixed, he takes the credit for it. He also seems to believe that Mozilla
is part of a secret conspiracy between AOL, China and Stalin.

*Of course* Mozilla's bugs should get fixed and *of course* Mozilla's
message filtering should be better than Outlook's. And those things are
being worked on. It might not get fixed as fast as we want, but it will
get fixed at some point. That is what JTK fails to see. He doesn't
believe that any work will be done on Mozilla unless it is screamed
about in the newsgroup.

> Yes, I realize that what I just wrote sounded strange, since the UI _is_
> the Gecko engine, as you so cleverly pointed out.

Actually the UI is just _rendered_ by Gecko, it isn't part of Gecko itself.

> Ok, the page may be rendered faster according to some advanced
> benchmarking tests, but the average user (I keep getting back to that
> user!) won't even notice it. She will only notice that the program loads
> slowly and is slow overall.

...but try comparing the performance of todays Mozilla with the
performance of a build from, say, six months ago. And six months from
now it will be much better than it is today.

My point is that *everybody* wants Mozilla to be the best browser on the
market. Simply screaming about how much Mozilla sucks won't help. I'm
not saying that you are like that, but JTK certanly is. I'd stay away
from him if I were you. (And I'd stay away from mozillaquest.com as
well, BTW). What will help (unless you want to write some code, of
course) is testing, filing bugs, spotting bugs that are duplicates of
other bugs, and helping with QA. See <http://mozilla.org/quality/help/>.
If you just want to use Mozilla and just file an occasional bug every
once in a while, that's also OK.

--
Hvis svaret er Anders Fogh så er spørgsmålet dumt.