One way to check if KDE is running is to see if one of: KDesktop or kwin

is running - this should be enough to test if KDE under normal
circumstances.  You could test if kicker is running, but some people do
stop this from running.   No doubt  there is a better way than these
methods.. though

KControl allows you to specify your preferred email client, which is stored
in some config file within ~/.kde/share/config, I expect.

And it became to pass that on the Friday 15 Feb 2002 9:59 pm, Christian
Biesinger did write as thus: