Sören Kuklau wrote:

> Peter Lairo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when i need to make a screenshot, I am always unsure as to which
> > fileformat to save it to (gif, jpeg, png, etc.).
> >
> > Since screenshots are usually only a few colors (no photos in the
> > shots), there must be some fileformat that keeps the filesize very small.
> >
> > Also, what pixel size should I resize the file too (my monitor is at
> > 1280x1024 - a bit high for most shots)? Currently, I usually resize to
> > 640x480.
> >
> > I would really appreciate any (detailed) suggestions. :)
> >
> > BTW, this is only *semi* off topic, because I often need to post
> > screenshots to bugzilla. ;)
>
> I use PNG. My preferred tool - on win32 - is HyperSnap DX, which has
> both a lot of features and yet high performance. I mostly use either the
> option "Full Screen", "Window, Button or Control" or "Region", so I can
> crop away a lot of stuff which doesn't matter for the screenie - such as
> the start button, which everybody knows what it looks like (ugly ;-) )
> anyways. I save them in PNG, usually 24-bit, but sometimes also just
> 8-bit if it's too large of a screenshot and if there's not much
> additional information given by a higher color depth (for example, for
> black and white text display).
>
> Mozilla has excellent PNG support (in contrast to IE 6 ;-) ), so that's
> not the problem.
>
> JPEG is pointless for most screenshots, unless you're doing screenshots
> from a photoshop image.
>
> GIF is less useful than PNG in case that PNG is supported by your
> audience - in other cases, GIF might be sufficient (if not, you'll have
> to use JPEG or something entirely different, such as those ugly huge
> native bitmap formats).
>
> --
> Regards,
> Sören Kuklau ('Chucker')
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The two programs I use for screen capture the Mac are SnapZ Pro, and
Screen Catcher both can handle png. But Mac people tend to use jpeg/jpg,
and gif. I have PhotoShop Lite  Adobe recently named to it to something else.
Phillip M. Jones, CET      |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street         |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |[EMAIL PROTECTED], ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/america/default.htm>
<http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/message/default.htm>