Andreas Fahrner wrote:

> My page, http://www.ircass.org/, contains valid HTML 4.01 transitional and
> valid CSS2. My question is: Why does Mozilla render these pages in a
> different way when you remove the doctype declaration?

Because Moz uses the doctype to determine whether to use strict or
quirks mode. If a page does not specify a doctype, it assumes the page
(like most others out on the web) should be rendered using quirks mode.

If you specify a known-strict doctype (XHTML or HTML 4.0-strict,
-transitional, and maybe -frames), it will render it "strictly", i.e.
according to the CSS2 box model.

The CSS2 box model differs in many ways from that of older browsers, so
quirks mode is an attempt to be (visually) compatible with older pages
written for older browsers, but renders modern HTML as it should be -
according to the CSS2 spec.

Mike.

--
Mike Gratton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>