Well, small praise:  I've found that Mozilla's newsreader beats NC4.7x's
in one (and only one) area: loading the "index" or "cache" or whatever
it is that gets loaded when you select a newsgroup is somewhat faster.
It's particularly noticable on "large" newsgroups such as this one: it's
painfully slow to load on NC4.7x, much less painful on Mozilla.  Now if
AOL could just figure out that I don't want DOUBLE SPACING GOD!

Ok, enough praise, I'm starting to feel ill.  So here's the suggestion,
and honest to God this'll put you over the top (well, once you fix all
the defects):  have the newsreader poll for new messages.  No newsreader
I've ever used does this.  Do it every X minutes (x of course
selectable) and every time you post.  Now tell me that would not be
sweet.