On 3/14/2002 9:21 PM, Ben Bucksch apparently wrote exactly the following:
> Sören Kuklau wrote:
>> Mr. M.P. Thomas replies to it with an opposite opinion, called "Better
>> than MSIE? In a few more years, maybe" [2]. I don't certainly agree
>> with his post, but his points aren't really invalid either.

> While I agree that mpt (if it has really been him - mpt, can you
> confirm?) is a bit extreme with his statement there,

The Mozilla community needs people like him who can criticise stuff;
even bash it when needed. mpt seems to know quite a lot about UI design,
compared to most others. Note that often, programmers don't know much
about (good) UI design because they're viewing UI's from quite a
different perspective.

> he has a point: The
> sidebar, cookie management etc. mean little to most users. They know
> cookies only from the grocery, and the sidebar looks overloaden and
> confusing to them, I guess.

Yup. The JavaScript blocking stuff might mean a lot to them though, if
it only were explained better (not like just putting seven, eight, nine
settings together and saying "here are they", but rather explain each
setting in a detailed way - at least in the help file). Just an example.

> Stability (e.g. not to take the Windows UI down with us) and security
> could mean something to them, but they are more abstract things.

About stability, I wonder if they would really blame Mozilla though, or
rather "my damn stupid machine which has never been reliable and stable
anyways".

They don't know the tech details; nor do they want to know them. When we
happen to put "Mozilla is now rock-solid and stable" in the release
notes in some months or years, a newbie will say "oh great, sounds good.
er, what does it mean to me though? will my computer work better?".

What really matters most in the argument whether Mozilla is better than
IE or not is how it *feels* to the user. Mozilla (around) 0.9.2 and
earlier were, for me, nearly a case of saying "ack, this app suckz, I'm
gonna throw it away". Luckily, I explored it a little more and
discovered some neat stuff. A newbie would perhaps discover it too, but
not understand it or its benefits.

[anyways, getting OT here]

> I value mpt's opinions, because he sometimes gets me back to how the
> majority of the users out there sees us.

Exactly.

>> The first reply [3], by Asa Dotzler, is just a nice one, as we all
>> know it from Asa.

> IMO, even that is too cynical. What is Javascript? What do users need a
> JS console for? Many users would prefer, if Mozilla just looked and
> behaved like the rest of Windows(without the crashes :) )/Mac/GTK/KDE,
> rather than having skins that break with the next update.

Yes, of course. They just want something that works (well), feels good,
and serves its purpose(s) for them.

>> Now to the third one [4]. What the h*ll happened to Chris Nelson?

> 2) He probably didn't know that mpt is such a valueable Mozilla
> contributor.

 From his post in this newsgroup thread, I doubt that.

 > 1) Compare [1]
> [1] <http://www.webstandards.org/mozillazine.html>
> <http://www.mozillazine.org/articles/article1524.html>

It seems to me that he has a personality problem. He seems to identify
himself with the general voice of the Mozilla people.

--
Regards,
Sören Kuklau ('Chucker')