Gervase Markham wrote:

> > You can't mandate a religon AND be a democracy.
>
> If you say that a "Christian country" is one where Christianity is
> mandated, then your definition of a "Christian democracy" is
> self-contradictory.
>
> As a Christian, I would argue that any country where Christianity (or
> any religion) is compulsory is not following Christian principles in its
> governance.

I believe that the UK is "officially" a Christian country: the head of
state is also the head of the church. It's also a democracy by most
definitions (although you could make argue the existence of the House of
Lords and the theoretical veto power of the Queen if you really wanted
to).

Of course, Christianity isn't mandated in the UK, but it is the "state
religion". That's about the closest you can get to a meaningful answer
to what is dangerously close to a meaningless question.

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer
NetReach - Internet Solutions