On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 08:19:17AM +0000, Bundy wrote:
*36 lines snipped. learn to cut back on your quoting people! fark...*
> BLOATWARE ALERT!!!!
>
> IRC Client = bloatware and will never make it to a NS build. It's a

a 103k xpi that you don't have to download if you don't want to.

> Webpage Editor = bloatware - should be the users choice to download in

Now this one is a bit harder to quantify due to the fact that it's an
integral part of browser.xpi and the components that are used for
editing pages are also reused for creating forms and the creation of
html email (this makes sense no). As such the editor itself would be,
more or less, a side-effect feature. As such I wouldn't really consider
it a seperate component.

> the first place. everybody knows, it's a piece of shit.

Speak for yourself. I can see a fair few things in there that might come
in useful for me once I step out of the 'basic first html page' design
and into something a bit more complicated.

> Javascript profiler - bloatware, only geeks will ever use that.

I believe this is in venkman.xpi which is 153k. Also, your comment of
'only geeks will ever use that' is insulting and lands you in the 'I
dunno why I shouldn't pee on the electric fence' category. If you
despise geeks so much (who I am taking you believe are people with
technical knowledge and acumen) that get the fsck off the net, turn your
computer off and give it to someone who appreciates it. Also, stop using
planes, cars, toasters and all the other nice things you are used to
taking for granted because, quite frankly, you don't deserve any of it.
You are just not worth the effort so give them up to someone who is.

All in all you have pointed out 256k of bloat (file size wise, at lease
for the linux build).

Now, personally, I wish mozilla had taken the path of building a
kickarse browser and then built the rest. This was not taken. It's a
shame but fsck it. It's done. What they did do though that I commend is
made a highly modular browser. One that allows people to build add-ons
(like the pref bar for example - it's cool :) and all sorts of doohikies
for it.

This lends me to a rather nice theory (IMO). As mozilla is not for the
end-user as it stands but rather for developers to make use of and
create their own browsers out of, things like chatzilla and the js
profiler and other such things all serve a very important service (other
then their primary function), and that is that they are examples of just
what CAN be done with mozilla. This sort of thing is most useful to the
future of mozilla due to the fact that it allows future developers of
addons to get more familiar with the varied APIs involved and write even
more fun things that you'll probably find useful but whose existance
you'll take for granted. Afterall, they ARE just worthless fscking geeks
now aren't they?

--
SOCCER PLAYER IN GENITAL-BITING SCANDAL  ---  "It was something between
friends that I thought would have no importance until this morning when