Steve Ball wrote:
> I would like to be able to suggest an alternative open PKI system that
> would work accross browsers and operating systems, but I do not know
> enough about the options to make an informed suggestion.

It is hard to answer this question without knowing what the security
requirements and threat model of that site are.

If the site requires users to use certificates to authenticate to the
server, the standard for that is TLS/SSL.  Mozilla supports the client
certificate feature of the IETF standard Transport Layer Security
protocol, RFC 2246 section 7.4.6.  Netscape Communicator supports the
same feature of SSL 3.0, an earlier version of the same protocol.

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature