(reposting, because I got "Service unavailable" from the news server.)

Sven Krohlas wrote:

 > One solution might be to get the installer from a "secure source"
 > (well, a nice
 > word for something that doesn't exist in relity, imho),

Yes, this is exactly the problem here.

 > Another idea was to provide md5 sums of all Mozill builds, but this
 > only semms
 > to make sens if you also sign these md5 sums, because someone who can
 > spoof
 > ftp.mozilla.org can also spoof any other server for you. This signing
 > could
 > happen via pgp,

Bug 68079.

In any scheme, at least one file has to be PGP-verified by the user (or
a user's agent like rpm). (Of course, at some point in time, the user
must have gotten the mozilla.org PGP key.)

Or am I missing a solution?

 > Don't use the net installer (and, for maximum security no downloaded
 > build),
 > but a version provided and verified by you favourite computer magazine.
 > This one is very ugly, the verification work would only be pushed to
 > another
 > place.

Personally, I trust the ftp.mozilla.org I see more than the CD I get
from my computer magazine. These guys deal with a lot of shaddy
software, and probably just run Norton AV over it and that's it.

I wouldn't use the net installer at all and instead use the
tarballs/zipfiles or the full installer. This is a single file, which
can easily be signed/verified via PGP. That's what I do with Beonex
Communicator. Just get mozilla.org to sign the packages on a machine not
directly accessible via the internet and forget about that net installer.

Ben