Christian Biesinger wrote:

> Ben Bucksch wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't use the net installer at all and instead use the
>> tarballs/zipfiles or the full installer.
>
> Well, that's useless - anybody who can manipulate the files that the
> installer downloads can manipulate the installer itself as well so
> that it would trust the binaries.

That's why I said you need to sign them!?!

> Also, if you would PGP sign the binaries, you would need to make sure
> that the used key really belongs to mozilla.org/Netscape and is not
> created by the one who modifies your binaries. But how can you be sure
> that it does? You can't trust the internet for verification, because
> the hypothetical person controls it (in your (Sven's) example).

1. The key usually lasts for a year, and subsequent keys can be verified
with it. This means that I only have to get the right one *once* and not
worry after that.
2. The "web of trust". The mozilla.org key can be signed by e.g. scc and
Redhat. It is possible that I already trust one of them, directly or
indirectly.