Stefan Milewicz wrote:

> I want to write a HTML/JavaScript page that will reside on the local
> machine and when loaded into Mozilla will open pages from the Internet
> and fill in form data.

Call
netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalPreferencesRead
UniversalPreferencesWrite")
from javascript just before you try to access the data in the other
page.  Since your page is local, enablePrivilege will show you a dialog
asking whether you want to allow the local page to do something it
normally wouldn't be allowed to do.  A page loaded from http (rather
than https of file) would not be allowed to even show the dialog.

 > Is there a preference setting that is responsible for allowing access to
 > web forms locaated in documents loaded from other domains? (By default
 > this is disabled for security reasons)

I hope not.  That would make it easy for someone to steal your password
to any site you have an account on.