Hi Nelson!

>>> 1.  The reason there is a strong dominating player at
>>> the moment is because there is no way to compete.
>>
>> But the reason there's no way to compete is due to whose root certs are
>> in the main browsers, not any other reason like branding or lack of it.
>
> What are you guys smoking?
>
> Stop saying Verisign has a monopoly unless you can show evidence of it.

On no measure has Verisign got a monopoly,
but sometimes it is common lingo to call the
largest player "the monopoly."  It's incorrect,
but honestly, it's not worth correcting.

However as for stats, published here:

http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/sdata/200411/certca.html

confirm that the market has resumed slow
growth, and continues to move slowly towards
a more regular "free market" profile.  If trends
continue Verisign will no longer be the largest
player within 6 months, at a guess.

> There is a large number (~100) of trusted root CA certs in mozilla.
> Some of the CAs there sell SSL server CA certs for WELL BELOW $100.
> Several of them give away email certs for free.
> mozilla has admited more new CA certs to the trusted list in 2004, than
> in any year since the establishment of mozilla in 1998.
> The criteria for "competing" are pretty well established.
> Stop spreading FUD.

Ah, that's one sentence too far!

The problem with the CA certs market is that
it is artificially constrained by the browser's use
of the root list.  That makes for a barrier to
entry, which is today measured as the cost
of a WebTrust.  Hence, costly (anyone here
got a dollar figure on it?).

Now, if the root list were *not* the undisputed and
sole vector of trust, and we were also to employ
user-based techniques of trust - like Amir and
Ahmed's logo signing ideas, or the other things
that have been discussed to put the relationship
onto the chrome, we would *change* the market
for certs.

And thus change the criteria for competing.

We would actually open it up for more competition,
and also enlarge the market for more CAs to sell
more certs.  What's more, we'd also do something
about phishing by giving the user the tools needed
for them to protect themselvess.  So we'd also be
meeting the security goals of Mozilla as well:
delivering a product that helps the ordinary user
to fight their threats, which as far as Firefox is
concerned, is phishing, phishing, and also phishing.

Changing the market in this way has zero down
side that I can see, and lots and lots of upside.

That all is the opposite of FUD, which happens
to be what the current system is based on:  Fear
of the MITM, Uncertainty in the notion that only
with a CA can you shop safely, and Doubt over
whether users will ever find anyone to take
responsibility for their loses over browsers
supposedly secured by CA-signed certs.

The main game right now is phishing.  What is
the plan to deal with phishing?  Anything else
is of secondary importance.

(Which is not to criticise the development crew
as it is clearly a vexatious issue;  and Mozilla
does lead the way with its little domain sticker
down in the bottom right corner.)

iang