Ian G wrote:
[...]
So the task for the Euro cert in question [...]
[...]
What planet are these guys on? What are we supposed to do, run it through a web translation engine?

It certainly opens a can of worms. I asked around for any experience of these things, but got no answers on the cryptography group.

Ian, I have not much time now, but the hungarian cert in question is *not* using the monetary limit extension, only the extension to say it is a qualified certificate, which consists just of an OID and is therefore easy to parse.

Also the monetary extension is *not* as you say arbitrary text, it's a perfectly defined format, and even if there might text for the monetary unit, it is restricted to the value defined in an ANSI norm for the representation of currencies.

You're not giving an acurate representation of things.