Ian G wrote:
What is it you are going to put next to the
lock?  It seems to me that the statement is
potentially large and bulky...

The amount:

www.paypal.com ($1000) [8]

(where 8 represents a closed lock)

You could do half of what I suggested earlier
(and I think it was suggested that IE/Opera
do this) and put a Warning icon next to the
lock that was the same formfactor.  Clicking
would then bring up (any) critical display in
a generic form.

But if this practice becomes widespread, many sites would have warning icons. And an icon which signified "warning" would be unnecessarily scary. Also, any such icon wouldn't be much smaller than printing the limit.

Gerv