Nelson B wrote:
Ram0502 wrote:

Ian G wrote:

This is something that Julien brought up and Amir
addressed by setting the border at the CA.  As the
user identifies a particular CA as good, the security
app module accepts any cert from that CA.

Nice practical solution.

Except that it creates a monopoly situation for the cert buyer.

Having bought his first cert from CA X, if he ever buys a cert
from CA Y instead, all his users will be alarmed.  This gives
CA X opporunity to charge ever higher prices for cert renewals.

In practice this would be the case, if the users
decided to let them do that.  I don't see too many
users just slavishly renewing without a bit of a
tussle.  Most sites that have a real user base
and users worried about security will also have a
way of notifying them otherwise that something will
change.

And SURELY raising prices for certs is not among Ian's goals! :)

Nope :)  My goal is security for the user.  If
it costs, it costs.  But I see things like
CACert being a useful influence there.

iang
--
News and views on what matters in finance+crypto:
        http://financialcryptography.com/