An interesting suggestion. I think Ian's suggestion of using something
that is easier remembered than a number or letter is good. The UI issue
is partially addressed by having a 'what's this' pop-up above it the
first few times a user-profile submits a form.

I like the password-hash concept [Blake and others] implemented within
the browser (see a password field and at form-post time hash in the
user [or autofill] entered password with teh site base-domain) as an
anti-phishing measure though the problem is that it locks a user into a
specific browser and probably specific installation of the browser as
well.