Ian G wrote:
Nigel McFarlane wrote:

Microsoft does not support the web.

Microsoft knows all this and wants to sell products.
The way to sell products to the web sector is to have
an alternative that's better than the web.

Relevant here, the "mark of the web" is just one way that Microsoft
can clearly differentiate itself.

Now suppose that Microsoft "marks" every document that comes
from the web as suspect, and every document from a Longhorn/MSN
as safe. Effectively, the web gains a "dirty bit".

Microsoft then turns around as says: "the whole web is dirty".

Ok fair warning. It's logical, but I'd have to say that *I* think it unlikely. The Web defeated microsoft back in 1996, and it is now big enough to carry mass & momentum way beyond that which microsoft can muster.

If Microsoft want to stick a MOTW mark on files, then
what's to stop us sticking a MOTM mark - a mark of the
Microsoft mark?  After all, practically all virus
threats come from there.

iang

that is a good idea,
if the file is coming from ms based server, or is ms product format, mark it as probably contaminated and harmful content.
but do not support ms' mark of the web.

Jaqui

--
The Best Spam Campaign:
snail mail a can of spam to local ( state / province ) leaders, as well as national leaders.