You are saying Microsoft will claim that Longhorn solves these problems. It's a key plank of your hypothetical argument. So I'm asking "How do you know that? What mechanism are they proposing?"

I never said that Microsoft would provide an alternate *concrete* solution. I said that they're developing an alternative to be *promoted* as a solution; perhaps with some slick features that make the promotion job easier.

This thread is about the power of rhetoric, not facts. How
many times in the last 20 years have we seen that same old product
argument trotted out: "Old technology A is busted. New technology
B fixes it. Get B." - even when B is manifestly no better that A.

Rhetoric about supposed limitations and insecurities of the web
is one way Longhorn can compete. Putting dire warnings inside
every web page you save can be a part of that. "XAML doesn't
require any MOTW dirty bit because it runs inside a secure
thingamajig" or similar rhetoric.

- N.