I thot discussion might have been pkix &/or x9f related .. as an
easier step then starting to search my own archives ... i've
done a quicky web search engine ...

one entry in pkix thread
http://www.imc.org/ietf-pkix/old-archive-01/msg01776.html

here is recent m'soft article mentioning the subject:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/wssra/raguide/CertificateServices/CrtSevcBP_2.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/mngpki.mspx

i also believe that it showed up in x9f5 work on PKI CPS ... but i
would have to check my archives ... however here is pointer to a
verisign cps ... that search engine claims contains words on
revoking CA (ra, etc):
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~baumerdl/Verisign.Certification.Practice.Word.doc

another verisign related reference:
http://www.verisign.com/repository/cis/CIS_VTN_CP_Supplement.pdf

also, i remember OCSP coming on the scene sometime after I had been
going for awhile about how CRLs were 1960s technology (and least in
the payment card business) .... before payment card moved into the
modern online world with online authentication & authorization (moving
away from having to manage credentials/certificates that had been
designed for an offline paradigm).

one might assert that OCSP is a rube-golberg solution trying to
preserve some facade of the usefulness of certificates (designed to
solve real-world offline paradigm issues) in an online world (somehow
avoiding having to make a transition to straight online paradigm and
preserving the appearance that stale, static redundant and superfluous
certificates serve some useful purpose).