On Friday 27 May 2005 01:21, Duane wrote:
> Ian G wrote:
> > Firefox users snap up Netcraft's antiphishing toolbar
> >  Netcraft's toolbar blocks access to reported phishing sites
>
> I grabbed it, tried it and promptly uninstalled it based on how much
> information was leaking like a submarine with screen doors back to
> netcraft...

Yes, I'm sure it is unimpressive... but...

We have to remind ourselves that the average user
of Firefox pays little attention to the standards (either
written or lofty) assumed and discussed in this group.

> Something like it is needed, but without telling everyone in the world
> what sites you visit so they can profile you, and not from web logs or
> bugs but from your own installation...

If you read the tech news, you will see that phishing
gets mentioned as headliines in articlesa about 10-20
times a day.  People know of it.  The need is there.

The trustbar toolbar did not get much support from the
technical people here (although it got quite a bit of
endorsement from the cryptographer's group).  Neither
did the petnames one get much support.  Probably time
to try something different.

Notice that both trustbar and petnames tried to work
with PKI and augment them.  Netcraft ignores it totally,
by harvesting data and aggregating it.  If that's works,
so be it, security is too important to waste on textbook
models.

iang
--
Advances in Financial Cryptography: