> > AFAICT, only currently available as part of "Nero", Win9x/NT CD-R
burning
> > software. Demo available at
> > http://www.ahead.de
>
> the site talks about the "brandnew and ultrafast MP3-Encoder of
Fraunhofer".
> but neither fraunhofer or opticom mention any updates to the encoding
engine.
> Probably using the same old codec that everyone else on windows uses.
> I didn't see any mention of VBR either.  It does say something about "30
times"
> the speed. but that may be on a quad-athlon 800Mhz computer..

Ah, the "30 times" confused me too.  Obviously, English is not their native
language, and what they're trying to say is that the MP3 encoder can only be
used 30 times before it's disabled, as I discovered when I downloaded the
demo.  I couldn't tell if paying the $15 shareware fee gets you an unlimited
encoder or not, although I sent email to them asking for clarification.

And yes, the encoder does support VBR, according to the GUI setup window,
although I haven't tried it.

-Jake