>> > +maybe a MPEG2 vbr should get a Xing header?
>> >  at least optional via a switch?
>> >

>> Can you get Xing to generate a MPEG2 VBR file?  I tried once and
>> it aways produced fixed bitrate output files.  The problem is the
>> Xing header is embedded in a 64kbs frame, but at MPEG2 samplerates, a=20
>> 64kbs frame is not large enough to hold the full Xing header. =20
>> Probably should just go to a 128kbs frame for the Xing header,
>> but I'd like to find out what Xing does first.
>
>I don't have a Xing encoder. I mentioned it, because I like seeking
>in a mp3. Without such a Xing header seeking would be impossible.

How about using a different method ?
Storing the data in ID3 tag ?

AFAIK , Xing header defines only 100 point , so it is
not very usefull on logner files.
Even on 3 minute clips, the accuracy is about 2 secs, which is
not enough in some cases ( beat matching for example ).

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |     living in  sLOVEnija