Here are some interesting comments from Timothy Spencer
I've been meaning to repost to mp3encoder:

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:42:17 -0800
From: "T. Spencer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: LAME

Mark,

Sure, I'd like to help.  You can currently read the bulk of my critique at
mp3.com's bulletin board under "general mp3 questions".  This critique
also stands up for LAME's 3.57.  I used the Lame Batch frontend with 3.57
to encode wav files which were ripped from CD using Music Match set on
multipass with digital correction which gives a high quality method for
maintaining strong data integrity.  I listen to the encoded mp3's and wav
files back to back.  I use Sonique which recognizes my Prodif 32 digital
I/O card.  The digital output is studio grade and the Stardust mp3 decoder
is unarguably the best available.  I also use my 2-way 50 watt PC speakers
to listen as a 2nd opinion.  Two different speakers give two different
ways to monitor the quality.  The first and most important difference
between LAME and the wav files are the high frequency differences in
volume.  LAME sounds like it's increasing high frequency volume in certain
frequency areas.  I took an mp3 converted to wav and used soundforge to
deemphasize the highs to good effect.  A very good test track comes off of
Tears for Fears - Elemental CD.   Track 2 in particular titled "Cold".  It
has a high overall volume with many different sounds in the mix both in
ambience and sounds that are in the front of the stereo image.  It also
has ambient high frequencies which are rare in many songs.  I tried "Cold"
on LAME 3.51 and needed to use the VBR-2 setting in stereo mode in order
to come close to the CD.  The average bitrate was around 232 kb/sec in
order to achieve virtual transparency.  The highs were still audibly
emphasized compared to the wav, but the high frequency ambience finally
sounded very close.  Also, the lower midrange in the vocals were more
filled out.  Another difficult track to encode is found on Tori Amos' new
CD titled "To Venus and Back" Disc 1.  Track 1 called "Bliss".  Listen for
her inhale.  Every time she inhales, there is a breakup on that sound.
The original wav reveals that her voice has a certain effect on it, so
when she inhales, it is not quite natural, but the LAME codec doesn't
encode it correctly.  No matter what bitrate I used, the result was the
same on the "inhale".  This problem also occurs on her CD single of Hey
Jupiter where she sings live.  Again, her inhales are slightly artifacted,
even though on the wav, it's merely a microphone noise.  LAME intensifies
the microphone distortion and makes it stick out unnaturally.  It sounds
broken up slightly even at the highest bitrates.

Here are two things I think LAME needs to improve on:

1.  Highs need to be deemphasized especially at lower bitrates due to how
shrill it sounds.

2.  Lower midrange in the 250-800 Hz range needs to sound fuller.  I get
the impression much of this sound is missing when comparing the mp3 to the
wav.  I'm willing to bet LAME and most other encoders sacrifice this area
and concentrate more on the 2,000-4,000 Hz where human hearing is very
sensitive and hears distortion more easily.  Even Fraunhofer sounds thin
in the lower midrange but I get the impression they hide this by making
their codec sound "fluffy" on much of the sound regardless of bitrate.
Fraunhofer's highs also seem more restrained, less dynamic.  I feel LAME
has something that Fraunhofer does not currently have.  Better dynamics.
So, at this point, I don't think you should try to be more like
Fraunhofer, but instead try to go your own route, with your own
signature.  I'm willing to bet you'll surpass Fraunhofer with some more
work on your perceptual model.  You may even be able to develop a wav
modifier which can apply specially chosen equalization and adjustment
before encoding is done.  This way you can better shape the quality of
your resulting mp3.  I've found that modifying wavs with mastering
programs before encoding can help bring a result closer to the original
wav than was possible before.  This could be a new twist on your encoder.
With the right programming, you could have your encoder modify the digital
wav or CD data just before it's encoded, with only minimal time added to
the encoding process.  You could literally have choices for the different
DSP effects.  This could help someone get a better result even at lower
bitrates.  The sound might even be different from the wav, but better
sounding given the bitrate used.  I've found also that when I change eq or
stereo ambience, the bitrates in VBR also change.  Sometimes higher, and
sometimes lower.  This is why I believe it's possible to alter the sound
before encoding to increase transparency in the result.

I hope this is the type of input you are looking for.  Please let me know
if I'm helping with this kind of information.

Timothy