From: "Richard A. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2000 4:40 PM
Subject: RE: [MP3 ENCODER] Normalization routine?

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:12:20 -0500, Mark Stephens wrote:

>everything else equally.  Normalization is like turning up the volume, no
>dynamic range is lost.  The difference between the quietest sounds and the
>loudest sound is the same.  If you change the difference (dynamics) of the
>music then you are either compressing or expanding.  By letting the peaks
>clip, you are using distortion to reducing the dynamic range of the music.
>Peak limiting just reduces the output for any waveform above a threshold
>that you set, without adding clipping distortion.

Ah.. I see.  Thank you.  I had a general idea what a compander did
but never had a full explaination.  This sounds like a better
solution than what I was doing.

How is the interface handled between the music sections?  I mean when
you scale a portion how do you match it back up to the sections
surrounding it? Some sort of changeing scalefactor?

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               501.846.5777