Here's what ended up happening:

The mid&side psycho acoustics have always been computed only in 'high
quality' mode.   It was the loopold.c code (now removed) that allowed
mid/side encoding with L/R psycho acoustics.  So when the loopold.c
code was removed, it was no longer possible to encode in mid/side stereo
unless -h was specified.

I dont have any objections to changing this (allowing mid/side stereo
without having to specify -h).  But I figure anyone who does not use
-h is more interested in speed than in quality, so why not encode in
regular stereo?  It is significantly faster.

I dont understand why different compilers would produce different
results - Joshua, are you sure about this?

Mark