Mark Taylor schrieb am Mit, 14 Jun 2000:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I usually encode music from cd like a:
> > $lame -h -b 192 input.wav output.mp3
> >
> > Now I (discovered) tried option --preset cd,
> > which parameters are equal to those I use,
> > but there are some differences (no transitional band)...
> >
> > Is that cd preset better than my usual commandline?
> > Is there some certain that presets won\'t change?
> > (If I\'ll use it automatically without checking,
> > will it remain still br 192, high quality, best settings)?
> >

> In this case, the differece will be insignificant.
> But it comes from a lack of organization: the preset options
> were added by Robert, and the default filtering was tuned by me.  I
> think that the amount of lowpass filtering should be based solely on
> the the compression ratio, but this value is superseded by the "cd"
> preset option.
>

> Mark

The presets were introduced as the filtering routines were different
from the actual ones. The idea of that "cd" and "studio" presets
was to get some predefined settings with higher quality and full
frequency response. By the way, you shouldn't take "cd" setting
by word, you will get cd quality only with your original CD waves
(or using some lossless compression routines like Monkey Audio "MAC").

Robert