Roel VdB wrote:

> As noted in the other post, I, and many with me have very little to
> complain about in with the <=3.85 vbr_rh mode... Cannot find any
> glitches since 3.83, encoded a few hundreth albums and counting...

> VBR 256kbit/s average VS 256kbit/s cbr is another story. The chance of
> psy messing up in VBR is now much bigger than 256cbr being
> insufficient.

Agree... I'm not looking for perfect sound but rather putting the more possible files
on CD-Rs, to be played on my computer or on basic HiFi equipment. For such equipment I
think that the quality of CBR 128kbs is OK.

I have been using a lot lame 3.70 with VBR -V7 (rh_vbr, hence). I could sometimes ear
some imperfections but in average I found the music very similar to CBR 128kbs (and
obviously much better than CBR 96kbs), with files about 25% smaller. More recently I
decided to switched to VBR -V6: this removes most of the -V7 imperfections, and files
are always smaller than CBR 128kbs.

Now I'm a little bit worried by more recent versions of Lame, since -V settings result
in completely different file sizes compared to 3.70.

Pierre