Hello,

With some small manipulations I managed to get a 750kB (music
fragments) file together where Lame 386 vbr clips seriously.

Please download zip#2 from http://r3mix.50g.com [100mb fast webspace,
but no direct links allowed :(]

visual aid/necessity:
http://users.belgacom.net/gc247244/extra/clips.png

"odd behaviour": Lame 386 V1 took _2 MINUTES_ on this 8 seconds clip,
where 385 only takes 3 seconds.  First I thought "endless loop
initiated", but apparently not ...

for the ones wondering: that's all for now and the next few days/weeks
(relief :))

btw: I notice that the noise levels of vbr_mt are substantially higher
than vbr_rh, even though the files are bigger.  Why is this? ($1MQ)

suggestion: if all tweaking effords should fail, would it be feasible to
switch back to vbr_rh search _for some frames_ while conditions are
extreme?

--
Best regards,
 Roel                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]